Friday, August 14, 2009

Sleeping Like a Baby

People who say they sleep like a baby usually don't have one. ~Leo J. Burke

How true is that?! For the past few weeks, er... months, we have been struggling in this household. Braden has not wanted to eat, hasn't wanted to sleep and has been kind of a pain to be around. I chalked it all up to teething thinking it was quite "normal" from all of my reading. But something had to give. My anxiety levels were through the roof, I was frustrated and angry all the time and I just felt like a failure of a mother.

So, I mentioned in my last blog about my change of routine. And I have to say it's making a HUGE difference. He's actually taking entire 6 ounce bottles with no fuss! I can hardly believe it. Once I got the feeding part figured out I HAD to do something about the lack of naps in this house! Lack of naps for baby = cranky baby = cranky mommy.

So, I did tons of research. I asked loads of people what worked and didn't work for them. Braden has never had an issue putting himself to sleep at bedtime, so what's with the napping?! From all the reading I've done they all mention that you should try to use the same routine for naptime that you do for bedtime. So what do we do at bedtime? We do bath, lotion, PJs, quiet time, then bottle, then bed. So, I thought what the heck, let's try putting him in PJs for naptime! Well that most certainly did the trick! He went from having 20 minute naps to sleeping for an hour or so 2-3 times a day!! Why didn't I think of this before?!

All I know is that we're here now and doing great! I'm feeling so much better about things!

No comments:

Post a Comment